Monday, March 11, 2013

The Death of Environment Means the Death of All life

This is one article that I’ve been planning to do for a long time. It’s in fact, more relevant than ever. It points to all of us and the burden we put on the planet’s resources to fulfill our never ending selfish desires, to the extent of even becoming greedy at times. Throughout mankind’s history, great crimes have been committed to gain material things, to progress in our understanding through science. Alas! These crimes have been committed against our very own environment, the very own place that we thrive on, The Planet Earth.

Capitalism has created oil barons, robber barons, steel barons and cut-the-trees barons. We have seen it get destroyed in front of our own eyes and it is possible that it is very late to even ponder on the damage done. A little too late that I am a fool even writing this, perhaps. If I had an amount of money, enough to buy 100 acre barren land in a remote area, I would plant trees; enough trees of every wild variety to enable the process of reforestation. Alas! I do not have that kind of money right now.

Time is tick-toking, I am getting scared. Everyone should be scared. You, the readers should be scared. It’s been a nonsensical joke carried on for a bit too long. Capitalists have produced because masses have demanded and we, stupid and jealous masses believe that we have no power and that, the capitalists have called all the shots. We blame them, always.

Ecological crimes have been reducing but a very low rate. With reduction of carbon footprint and green initiatives taken by companies and organizations worldwide, things are happening but at a very slow pace. One may ask who am I to say this. I say this because I don’t see any initiatives taking place in the Reforestation Department. I get to hear every day about businesses seeking land to open new factories to produce new cars, more steel or for power projects, etc.

It’s not that we are getting less oxygen to breathe. It’s only that we don’t care. Selfishness & Greed. For the love of woods, we need to think. If only I had the money, now, because I think that in the future, it will be all too late. Till then, we would survive, of course but there will be less oxygen to breathe.

Another thing is that there will be less land available to me then; when I would have made my fortune to embark upon this kind and selfless work, as a gift to all humanity; because of the rate at which people are gobbling all the land for selfish and greedy activities, which most of the time only damage our planet.

Time to think. Reforestation is the only future.


A N U J  C H U G H

No comments:

Post a Comment